The Behavioural Response of Australia Humpback whales to Seismic Surveys (BRAHSS) is a large collaborative study involving;
- The University of Queensland,
- The University of Sydney,
- The University of Newcastle,
- Curtin University of Technology,
- the Australian Antarctic Division and
- the Australian Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO)
The study will be one the largest and most comprehensive studies on the effects of noise on whales ever undertaken.
It is funded by the E&P Sound and Marine Life Joint Industry Programme (JIP) and the US Government Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement. JIP includes companies from the International Association of Oil and Gas Producers (OGP) including the BG group, BHP Billiton, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Eni, ExxonMobil, IAGC, Santos, Statoil and Woodside. The International Association of Geophysical Contractors (IAGC) is also a contributor.